This painting is my first attempt at painting with acrylics on canvas. I started it last year at the Attleboro Museum with Lisa Granata. I just finished it at Lugar’s Art Studio with guidance from Nancy Lugar. I added the leaves on the trees, horses in the background, and repainted some of the hills. The area in the front is too dark, but I’m not changing it…time to move on. I actually looks much lighter outdoors. My next painting will be a misty forest scene in oil.
I have been dabbling in a few mediums; colored pencils as I try to capture tomatoes on my deck before Mr. Chipmunk eats them, a mountain/water scene using oil paint, and a Montana valley with wild mustangs in the distance. I am learning to accept mistakes as a stepping stone in learning how to draw and paint. Perfectionism held me back in the past. I would do something that didn’t look right and stop, unable to finish. Now I plow ahead and just try to learn from these mistakes. You’ve got to make some ugly art in the beginning.
I didn’t get very far…I thought I could get some background in, but the time flew by as I tried to get Pete’s eyes painted and make him look dimensional. Still lots of work to do and only three more classes.
…I still wasn’t finished, however I am pleased with my progress. Last night I actually painted faster. I surpassed my original goal for this final session by actually getting both trees in and doing a little work on the pond. Before I attempt to finish this painting on my own I will do a paint-along with an artist I like on YouTube.
I hope to get into the next painting workshop at the Attleboro Arts Museum that starts next month. I really enjoyed Lisa Granata as a teacher.
It is clear to me that I will not be finishing this painting during this first workshop. I hope to get into the spring class that starts in April to finish it and start something new. I’ve spent the majority of my time learning what colors do when they are mixed with their complements or white and Payne’s gray. During Friday’s class I darkened some hills, highlighted some (I can see by this photo, I need to blend better), and added a base of pale blue to the pond…the ochre from the base coat was bothering me. Next Friday is the final class. My goal is to add the tree to the right side of the canvas.
I only have 2 more classes. Stressing over not being able to make sufficient progress to finish this first painting. I don’t take it home to work on it, but have been steadily working on the value chart…almost done.
I was instructed to create this grid on canvas board. I taped off 1.5 inch squares and will create a value scale using Payne’s grey, white, some greens straight from the tube as well as mixing some blues with yellow to get some nice greens. Here is a nice video on mixing. This man uses black on his grid. http://youtu.be/aiH3k41YY_E